Fenugreek Alternatives from Motherlove
November 27, 2017
If you know even just a little about herbal galactagogues, or herbs that support lactation, you’ve probably heard of fenugreek. Fenugreek is an herb that is often recommended to support breast milk supply and is known to be pretty fast acting. Two of Motherlove’s best selling supplements, More Milk Plus and More Milk Special Blend are blends of herbs, including fenugreek. Many women find success with these blends, however, if you are looking for a supplement that does not contain fenugreek, Motherlove makes 5 unique fenugreek-free breastfeeding supplements:
- Malunggay (Moringa): Malunggay is very nutritious - it is very high in iron, vitamins, potassium, and protein. In fact, evidence shows that malunggay can act as a galactagogue, a natural substance that increases milk production, even among mothers who give birth to preterm infants. Some people take malunggay as a regular multivitamin but here at Motherlove, we dose our malunggay for the purpose of breastfeeding. What makes our malunggay unique, compared to other options on the shelf, is that we always provide our supplements in a liquid form, in this case, in a liquid vegetarian capsule. When it comes to taking herbal supplements, taking a liquid tincture or liquid capsule, as opposed to a tea or a dried herb capsule, delivers more of the potent properties needed, and is more readily absorbed into the bloodstream.
- Another fenugreek-free alternative is More Milk. More Milk was one of our first blends and it is a combination of blessed thistle, nettle, and fennel. These 3 herbs are all galactagogues and are a great alternative for someone who started on More Milk Plus and was seeing good results but noticed that her stomach was upset, which can sometimes happen as a result of taking fenugreek. More Milk has the same 3 herbs as More Milk Plus, blessed thistle, nettle, and fennel, but it doesn’t have fenugreek. More Milk is available in a liquid tincture only.
- One of our newer additions to the line is an Aruyvedic herb called Shatavari. Native to the Himalayas, this herb is known as the ‘herb of a 100 husbands’ and has phytoestrogen, or plant-based estrogen, properties. Women often take shatavari in times of hormonal imbalances, such as during menstruation, menopause, and lactation. We provide the adequate dosing to support lactation and many women find this is a great supplement to take when a low milk supply may be a result of hormonal imbalances.
- Goat’s Rue is another galactagogue and is thought to support the development of mammary tissue. Motherlove offers this herb as a single supplement, in addition to being in the blend of More Milk Special Blend. Goat’s Rue can be very helpful to women who did not see an increase in their cup size during pregnancy. This galactagogue can also be beneficial for moms who have had past breast surgeries or adoptive moms who want to breastfeed. Goat’s Rue is available in a tincture or a liquid capsule.
- More More Two is the last lactation blend that Motherlove offers that does not contain fenugreek. More Milk Two has a very specific purpose as it is formulated for use in tandem breastfeeding. So, if you are breastfeeding and become pregnant again and wish to continue breastfeeding, this is a supplement that is safe to take during pregnancy. More Milk Two is a blend of red raspberry, alfalfa, and nettle. This product is only available in an alcohol-free tincture.
As you can see, Motherlove has a number of different lactation supplements available that are fenugreek-free. If you have any questions about the products, you are always welcome to email us or call us. As always, please consult your physician or IBCLC before taking any supplement and feel free to reach out to us at Motherlove if you have any questions or concerns.