Motherlove is now a certified B Corporation!
We are thrilled to announce that Motherlove Herbal Company is now a certified B Corporation!
What does it mean to be a certified B Corp? The B Corporation designation is awarded to companies which use the power of business to solve social and environmental problems and meet higher standards of social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability.
It’s like Fair Trade certification but for the whole business, not just a bag of coffee. B Corps are important because they inspire all businesses to compete not only to be the best in the world, but to be the best for the world. There are over 1,300 Certified B Corporations from more than 120 industries in 41 countries with one unifying goal – to redefine success in business.
To become a Certified B Corporation, Motherlove went through a rigorous evaluation to determine if we met B Corporation standards for certification. The standards are comprehensive and measure a company’s impact on all its stakeholders. Unlike traditional corporations, B Corporations are legally required to consider the impact of their decisions not only on their shareholders, but also on their stakeholders (like our employees, our customers, the environment, and our community).
Sustainability. Accountability. Social and environmental responsibility. These are values that run deep at Motherlove. Since our earliest days over 25 years ago, when Kathryn Higgins started Motherlove in the kitchen of her family home, these values have guided us in decisions large and small. They are the “why” behind everything we do.
We're so proud to be recognized for living these values, and we love sharing how we're working every day to be the most sustainable, responsible business we can be. Here are a few highlights from our work toward this vision:
- Our Legacy Farm. It's a dream come true for us: a farm and education center where we can raise certified organic herbs for our products, teach about the gifts of the plant world, raise produce to contribute to our local economy, and donate to organizations fighting hunger in our community. We're even working toward producing biodiesel to power our tractors!
- ClimateWise certification. The City of Fort Collins' ClimateWise program is a voluntary initiative helping local businesses reduce greenhouse gas emissions by promoting waste reduction, energy savings, alternative transportation, and water conservation. We've achieved silver level status and are working toward platinum this year!
- Energy retrofit at our new facility. When we moved into our current facility we made many changes to reduce our footprint, including a new solar array which produces three times more energy than we use (more on that soon!)
- Certified organic, cruelty free, non-GMO. We are deeply committed to producing only the highest quality certified organic products. We are certified cruelty-free by Leaping Bunny, which means that not only our end products, but also the ingredients (where most animal testing occurs) are third-party certified. All of our products score a “zero” (zero toxins) on the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep cosmetic safety database. Motherlove does not - and will not - use any GMO ingredients.
- Safe cosmetics Champion. We're proud to have been named a “Champion” (the highest level of compliance) of the Compact for Safe Cosmetics. The Compact is a voluntary pledge to avoid chemicals banned in other countries, avoid harmful ingredients whenever possible, and fully disclose product ingredients. Our products contain none of the many body care products to avoid.
- Nurturing Life Foundation. Through our Nurturing Life Foundation Motherlove supports organizations that nurture people, communities and the environment.
- Sustainability in all we do. For us, Earth Day happens 365 days a year. All our office supplies and packaging is made from recycled materials, we print on 100% post-consumer recycled paper, we manufacture using wind credits and solar, we use low energy and motion sensor lighting in our facility.