Benefits of Breastfeeding
Breast milk is the most important food a child can receive in the first months of life.
Decades of research have shown that breast milk is a unique substance that cannot be duplicated by artificial means. It is the most complete food for babies as it contains the perfect balance of nutrients that are essential for a baby’s growth and development, and provides protection against many illnesses and infections.
Many experts, including the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and the World Health Organization (WHO), recommend that women breastfeed for one year or longer; and that babies take only breast milk for the first six months of life, thereafter slowly introducing solid foods.
Motherlove Herbal Company is dedicated to helping women with low milk supply, as well as adoptive mothers, provide the best start for their babies. Our safe and effective herbal formulas with certified organic herbs increase a mother’s milk supply within 24-48 hours. However, low breast milk can be a result of many factors. We suggest you confer with a lactation consultant for help in determining the cause of your low milk supply.
Benefits for Baby
Breast milk has more than 100 nutritional components not found in infant formula that are critical to a baby’s brain function and to their visual and auditory development. Studies show that breastfed babies:
- Have lower incidences of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
- Receive antibodies to the many diseases to which their mothers’ have been exposed, helping to develop a strong immune system.
- Have a lower risk of allergies, asthma, and respiratory infections.
- Have fewer ear infections.May be more protected against celiac disease.
- Have a reduced risk of childhood leukemia.
- Have a lowered risk of juvenile onset diabetes.
- Have a lowered risk of obesity in childhood and adolescence.
- Are less likely to have diarrhea.
Benefits for Mom
Breastfeeding provides a wide range of benefits to the nursing mother:
- Convenience - Breast milk is always available and at the right temperature. You can feed your baby anywhere and at any time without having to pack up bottles, sterilizing equipment and formula.
- Weight loss - Breastfeeding helps mothers return to their pre-pregnancy weight faster than women who formula feed.
- Breastfeeding makes a woman’s bones stronger, reducing the risk of osteoporosis.
- Women who breastfeed are less likely to develop ovarian and breast cancers.
- Breastfeeding lowers the risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes.
Benefits for the Environment
- Breastfeeding saves our natural resources. The production of infant formula takes valuable land, water, and energy and also contributes to air pollution. An estimated 87,230 tons of tin and paper end up in landfills due to formula consumption (2002).
- Breastfeeding saves money – a potential annual savings of $3.6 billion in decreased costs of public health programs, reduced absenteeism, and reduced environmental and energy burdens.
Motherlove Herbal Company believes new mothers should have access to information about the immediate and lifelong benefits breastfeeding can provide both to you and your baby. Ultimately, the decision to breastfeed is yours.
For breastfeeding resources, studies on the benefits of breastfeeding, pregnancy and breastfeeding products, visit Motherlove’s Resource Library