WHAT ARE POSTPARTUM MOOD DISORDERS?
It’s normal to feel overwhelmed and anxious about the many responsibilities of having a newborn. Feelings of fatigue, crying, insomnia, anger, feelings of being alone, and the inability to concentrate are all typical of the “Baby Blues.” They’re usually short-lived, lasting for a few weeks.
But if these or other bad feelings continue, or are more severe at any point after having a baby, you may have a postpartum mood or anxiety disorder, and it’s important to seek help from your health care provider.
WHICH HERBS AND SUPPLEMENTS CAN HELP?
There are many ways to treat postpartum mood and anxiety disorders, including therapy, support groups, medications, rest, acupuncture, nutrition, help with domestic responsibilities, socializing with family and friends, and exercise. In this post, we’ll focus on herbals and supplements to combat these disorders.
If you are taking an anti-depressant or other prescription medications, be sure to discuss herbal use with your physician to prevent interactions.
- Vitex helps stimulate progesterone production and balance the hormonal cycle.
- Motherwort and lemon balm can help with mood swings and emotional balance.
- Skullcap, oats, and chamomile are tonic herbs for nerves and stress.
- St. John’s wort (discuss with your physician about interactions with other medications)
- A Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner may be able to recommend additional herbs.
- Motherlove's Balancing Blend is nourishing herbal blend to find balance around menstruation & postpartum. This can also be helpful for supporting mothers around the hormonal swings weaning can bring about.
- Omega 3 fatty acids, such as those found in fish oil, reduce inflammation and have been shown effective at preventing and treating depression.
- Vitamin D or light therapy.
- Calcium and magnesium
- Folic acid through diet or in a vitamin
The smell of clary sage, sandalwood, and citrus uplift the spirits, so use these essences in a massage oil, bath, or sleep pillow. Put drops on a handkerchief to sniff throughout the day. Aromatherapy inhalers and spritzers are available at natural food stores.
BACH FLOWER ESSENCES:
- Gorse for discouragement and despondency
- Mustard for deep gloom for no reason
- Sweet Chestnut for mental anguish, hopeless despair, sorrow, exhaustion, loneliness